Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Week 3, Day 3 - Rant against Popeye's and pre-mature Memory loss

Let's just jump into it, shall we?

Running:
Today I was not a rock star or a champion....Before I even left the house, I knew it was going to be a tough day for me.  I drank too much coffee, hadn't eaten a good breakfast (just the scraps of Ari's breakfast), and was just feeling a little sluggish.   Lilah on the other hand was a rock star AND a champion in the stroller today.  She had a little fuss in the beginning, but then sat back to enjoy the rest of the ride.  She was all tucked in with blankets, had some yummy juice and a snack thing filled with Pirate's Booty which seemed to keep her occupied.  The genius of these snack cup things is that it's actually HARD to actually get the snack out...I mean it's seriously hard for me, let alone a toddler!  In fact, it requires such a fete of dexterity, the kids can only really take out one piece food at a time, so it really keeps them occupied for a nice long while :)

SO, back to the run....Right out of the gates I had a little bit of knee pain and it kind of freaked me out.  Maybe it was b/c I already felt sluggy, but I got nervous my slight knee pain would instantly turn into patellofemoral pain syndrome (runner's knee) and I would maimed for life.  I was mad at myself for getting last year's $100 shoes on sale for $60 instead of splurging for the Portland Running Company recommended $135 shoes and now I was developing a major knee injury which was eventually going to require surgery, not to mention I was obviously going to have to drop out of the damned Marathon training only 3 weeks in!! ARGHHH!!!!!!  Luckily, it resolved itself in less than a block....so, crisis averted this time :)

SO, back to the run....Once my knee felt better, I suddenly had to pee.  To stop or not to stop?... that was the question!  The Quick Stop? Biscuits? Fred Meyer's? McDonald's? Squat behind a bush?   I really didn't want to stop because it would basically ruin the sanctity of the 3 mile run.  In the end, I figured it would be easier to suck it up (or 'hold it in'?) than try to negotiate a public restroom with Lilah in the stroller and not buy something.

SO... back to the run...There I was trotting down the road feelin' sluggy and holding in pee, when I approached the Popeye's...  I hate the flippin Popeye's.  Somehow when I'm planning my route, I always seem to forget about it and then..... I.... SMELL....IT.... and part of me wants to wretch.  I have no idea what kind of oil they use at Popeye's but I swear you can smell it from 1/2 mile away and it smells putrid!  The unmistakable wafting scent of Popeye's conjures images of trying to eat some delicious chicken only to have the taste of never-changed-deep-fryer-oil in my mouth and oily disgustingness dripping down my chin.  Not that I was ever a huge Popeye's fan (I'm more of a KFC girl), but now I'm convinced Popeye's is a serious afront to chicken lovers everywhere.  I seriously have been unable to eat Popeye's since the first time I ran past it a long, long time ago.  Maybe it has something to do with running in the fresh air one second and being olfactorily assaulted by the smell of deep fry out of nowhere a moment later???  Maybe today it was so much worse because it was actually sunny and there was no rain to drown out the smell??  I don't know... but I also pass a Subway, IHOP and McDonald's, and none of them have the horrible oil/fry smell of Popeye's.  Ickers...

SO, back to the run.... I managed to finally get away from the Popeye's stench and was about half way through my 3 miles when I realized I might have forgotten to turn off the stove!!  I like to eat a hard boiled egg when I get home from my runs, so I put the egg on the stove, bring it to a boil, then turn the burner off to let the egg cook while I'm gone.  Today, I remembered the pot boiling, but I couldn't remember turning the burner off..... CRAP.  So I took off like a speeding bullet down the road as fast as I could, only to burn myself out within 1/4 mile.  I spent the whole last 1/2 of my run alternating between sprinting and power-walking.  I'm glad I didn't give Lilah whiplash.  On the bright side, I technically ran/walked more than 3 miles because I was so fearful over the stupid eggs that I didn't actually 'cool down'... oh... and I had turned the eggs off afterall. 

SO, there's my detailed report on my whopping 3 miles of running today.

In other news, I realized I accidentally skipped a week on the calendar when I was creating my training schedule!  DOUBLE CRAP!  Really I should have started my training on 11/21 rather than 11/14 and I should only be in Week 2 right now.  Sigh.... So I guess I'll just do this week of training again next week and I'll be training for 31 weeks.  Are you convinced I'm losing my mind yet?

and lastly:
Food:
I kept up my food journal until around 2pm when it all fell apart.  I'm embarrased to even tell how many cookies I ate today :(  They're just SOOOO good!  Lucky for me, tomorrow is another day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment