Thursday, December 15, 2011

Week 4, Day 4 - Just an Extra 100 Lbs? No Problem!

Did I mention running with both kids adds an extra 100 pounds to my workout?  Since it's been a while since I took both kids out, I had forgotten about that extra 100 pound thing until.... um...20 feet into my run!!!

Yes, right from the get-go, I was reminded of how difficult it was to push both kids in the double jogger.  I made it a little more than 1/2 way through my run when Lilah threw her blanket overboard and I had to turn around to get it.  Something about stopping even just once for a few seconds killed the rest of the run for me.  It was literally about 5 seconds during which I picked the blanket off the ground, put it back on her and tucked it around her feet.  However, after the initial stop I ended up having to stop twice more.... each time for a little longer. 

I remember over the summer when I was running all the time with both kids and getting really frustrated because even though I had been running for weeks, I still couldn't make it 2 miles without stopping.  Then I had a single morning which I was able to take a run by myself and I able to run 5 miles and still felt great.  In truth, I felt so good at the end of the run, I probably could have run farther. So, while it was a real disappointment being unable to go a full mile without stopping, I keep reminding myself pushing an extra hundred pounds will make give me more strength, speed and endurance on the day of the actual marathon. 

On a positive note, it was a little warmer today (mid 40's!) and both kids sat happily in the stroller for the duration of the run. Additionally, we went to an event here in Portland called "Zoolights" in which the Portland Zoo fills the whole Zoo with Christmas Lights. It's REALLY an amazing event! We ended up staying for only 1 1/2 hrs, but it was like a whole extra workout running around in the cold with the kids in the double jogger! Here are some pics:







No comments:

Post a Comment