Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Week 11, Day 2 - Stopping to get Lost in the Roses

Just when I thought I was finally all better, this morning I woke up with a sore throat and a voice like Kathleen Turner.  Either I have the cold that keeps on giving, or I contracted yet another virus :( Luckily, today was my day off from work, so I got to spend at least part of the morning being quasi lazy.

Today was yet another 3 miler.  I'm starting to get bored of this distance which isn't too good b/c I'll be running 3 miles 4x this week (not to mention another 25 times on top of that before the marathon!), but I suppose I should be thankful for shorter distances while I have them.....especially if my immune system is going to continue allowing these nasty colds into my body!

My mother was kind enough to watch the kids for me while I ran today which was great.  The only quasi-downside was that I was running in her neck of the woods and wasn't quite familiar with the area.  It was easy enough to map out the run on-line, but my mom's neighborhood is a newer walled neighborhood which with a lot of dead ends and little paths with only one way road in and out.  I would have had to run around the neighborhood 15 times to equal 3 miles, so I just basically ran down the road from my mom's neighborhood and back.  A hard part about not knowing the area is being unaware of sidewalk issues.  Luckily, the sidewalk only ran out once (and it luckily continued on the other side of the street), but there were A LOT of driveways where the sidewalk dips down to meet the road which made the route feel like I was running moguls.

The other downside of running in unfamiliar territory is the probability of getting lost!  I'm sure any of her neighbors who are reading this will laugh themselves to death over this.... but I got lost!  When I got back into her neighborhood, I hooked right to finish the last part of the run on the outskirts of the neighborhood before finishing in the middle.  However, I ended up literally running in circles for the last .2 of the run because the roads are all dead ends and I didn't realize there was a path connecting them all!  OOPS!

Here's a map of the last portion of my run.  My path is is red:



So..... my time today ended up being 3.01 miles in 31:30 which comes out to a 10:30 mile pace... which I think was totally zonked by my running in circles for the last few minutes rather than gunning it for the last 1/4 mile which is what I usually do :(  I wasn't really pushing myself today b/c I'm still feeling pretty phlegmy, but I do hope there is a time in my future where I will feel 100%... as in healthy AND well rested.... hopefully.

I'm looking forward to my 3 miles tomorrow with a gal from the new job.  Like I had mentioned, the only way I'm going to be keeping up with her is b/c she had knee surgery recently.... although it's hardly keeping her from running several times a week and playing basketball. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment