Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 12, Day 4 - Finally healthy!!!!

Last week, I ran on Wednesday, but felt SOOOO awful on Thursday that my new boss actually sent me to Target to get cough medicine for myself.  I realized that for the last several weeks I've been battling a cold and losing. The truth was I had only been letting myself get marginally healthier before I would continue training which would set the cold back to the beginning.  I would skip a run, feel better enough to do the next run, then feel worse again and miss another run.  I've basically missed 1-2 runs per week due to sickness for 4 weeks in a row which culminated to missing THREE runs in week 11.  I obviously wouldn't be able to make it to the marathon if things continued this way, so I decided the best course of action would be to take a full week off to get back to 100%! und I did....

So, here I am back to healthy! 

For my first run in a week, I did a 3 mile route through the Xerox campus and around local park. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my headphones at home, but I was able to stick my iPhone in a little pocket on the shoulder of my new rain/running jacket with the volume up loud enough to hear it as I ran.  I really love to run with music and I've always had this little fantasy about creating a vest with speakers on it that I could blast my music out to all the other runners on the trails and let them enjoy my music as much as I do.  On one hand, I know it's kind of obnoxious to think people would love my music and I know people would probably just be annoyed.  But on the other hand, my music is friggin awesome and I think if people heard it they wouldn't be able to stop themselves from running with me just to sing along.  In my little fantasy, I start off running alone, but one by one people come running up to listen to my music and by the end of the run, it's like ME in the middle of this HUGE mass of people all rockin-out/running to, like, Eagle Eye Cherry.... or something....

So...... The run started off going through the Xerox campus then across the way to a loop around a park. The road through Xerox was literally just a little road connecting the parking lots, but on the right side it was all green and foresty with a nice smell. The park is kind of funny, it's like they had this big piece of land the developers didn't know what to do with, so they make a 1.5 mile loop around the perimeter and just left the middle as a big field with some trees.... if feels more like a deserted school campus than a park, but there's some nice birds that fly around which are fun to look at. 

The weather was nice and cool...it felt like it could start raining any second, but it didn’t. Since it was my first day back, I definitely didn’t push it too hard. I felt pretty good for most of it, but the last ½ mile actually got pretty tough. The last .2 was really the most difficult. At the distance where I usually push hardest to improve my time and finish strong, today it felt hard finish at all.
When I got back to the office, I struck up a convo with a gal I sit near.  She was telling me  her boss recently decided  to run a ½ marathon and put her in charge of organizing it. So, she's drawn up a training schedule and is recruiting a butch of ladies from the office to train together. The ½ marathon will be the week after my marathon, so obviously we’ll be running different mileage on training days, but I figure I could always start my runs with them then finish my additional mileage on my own or with whoever wants to join me.  It seems like a good way to get to know some of my coworkers. I've always felt like I was kind of a loner at work and in some respects it made me sad.  I always wanted a crew of people to go for lunch with, or maybe drinks after work or even hang out with on weekends.  I had it for a short time at Schwabe, but somehow it fell apart after one particular summer.  I would like to actually have a crew of people to hang out with at work and I think this would be a good avenue to create friends and work-out buddies.  I hope it actually happens :)

I'm a little nervous about this week's 6 mile run.  I was sore after my 5.5 mile run the other week becuase I hadn't been keeping up on my mileage and I'm sure this Saturday will be really tough too.  I'm going to make a concerted effort to stretch really well before and after the run.  I

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to ask if you have listened to the music i sent you yet. well, have you?

    ReplyDelete