Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week 12, Day 6 - SIX miles!

Today I got up to SIX miles!  Wahoo!  Now I'm only 3.2 miles away from the 15K Shamrock Run, which is 5 weeks away :)  Before you read too far, I'm giving warning that I'm actually pretty tired, so I apologize in advance for all the 1/2 thoughts and choppy paragraphs....

Today, I was lucky enough to run with my friend Michelle around Lacamus Lake in Vancouver, Washington.  It was a 3 mile In&Out gravel path with a gorgeous lake on one side and a lovely wooded area on the other - Marie, you would have LOVED it!!! 




I had been nervous because of 1) missing so many runs over the last few weeks, 2) drinking too much wine last night, 3) a new mileage to conquer, 4) I was running in an unfamiliar place, and 5) today I was running with a bonifide marathon finisher who runs long distances on a regular basis.  However, I have to say I was really very happy with my performance.  The beginning of the trail started with a couple of up & down dips which didn't seem much of a challenge, but Michelle warned me they would be MUCH more difficult on the way back.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I prefer to run loops rather than In & Outs, today I noticed a real benefit to I&Os which I had never really anticipated! Instead of thinking of the run as a 6 mile run, the I&O almost forced my brain to think of the run as two 3 mile runs... which is much more doable and less threatening!  For some reason... the same 3 miles I struggled with last Thursday, seemed like nothing today :)

So, the run was really great.  The scenery was gorgeous, the weather was perfect, I had a great running partner... oh, and my music was fantastic.  Michelle had a little chuckle at me as I rocked out out Ben Folds.  Everything was awesome and fantastic....until the last mile.....uggghhhh....  That last  mile, all my energy went out of my and I thought I was going to die.  It was quite literally a fete of self control not to stop 1/2 mile short of my goal.  And those quaint little up & down dips from the first mile, came back to KILL me on the last mile..... but I did it.  I made it 6 full miles with only one quick break at the mid-way point to stretch and drink some Gatorade.

So... the results!  I averaged an even 10 minute mile :)  However, thanks to amazing modern technology, I got a full per-mile summary.... check it out!
 
Summary00:59:476.0 mi10:00
SplitTimeDistancePace (avg)
100:09:351.0 mi09:33
200:10:001.0 mi09:58
300:10:051.0 mi10:04
400:11:351.0 mi11:32
500:10:151.0 mi10:11
600:09:551.0 mi09:52
700:00:150.0 mi13:35

1 comment: