Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week 8, Day 6 - 5 Big Ones

Hit the 5 mile mark today :)  It's been a long time since I've run 5 miles and it felt like a real achievement.   I ended up running the 'hill' that always makes me a little anxious, then around the Nike campus, past Popeye's (coming from the East rather than the South, there's no smell!), down Walker to 170th and home.  Most of the run I felt really good and am happy to report that after running the OHSU/Terwilliger hills, my local hills aren't so bad! The end of the 5 miles was welcomed, but I certainly wasn't ready to collapse at the 5 mile mark.... which is pretty awesome :)  I'm now nearly 12 hours post-run and still have no achy-ness!

It was very cold in the beginning and drizzling a little bit.  Once again the wind was blowing really hard against me which made it a little hard to breath as well as giving some unwanted resistance against my running. I didn't want to wear my regular rain coat b/c I know it would get real hot real fast, so instead I wore my fleece which may not have been the smartest move either.   About 1/2 way through the run, I ended up taking the fleece off b/c I got too hot, but then my belly got all numb under my shirt!  It was a really weird sensation to have most of my body all revved up, but not have any feeling in my belly :/  It was almost like wearing an undershirt.... but not.  HOWEVER, this afternoon, I happened to stumble upon a really nice water resistant running shell that happened to be on super sale! I haven't been able to find them for less than $70, but this one was on sale for $50 AND I had a 20% off coupon.  I'll be super excited to try it out on Tuesday - especially b/c the iPhone arm band thing is a bigger pain in the butt than I thought and my new jacket has a special pocket JUST for my iPhone!  Wahoo! :)

Cool tidbits of the run are that I actually used the "Pause" function on the MapMyRun app.

Annoyances of the run are that my earphones kept falling out, I had to stop to retie my shoelaces 2x, and my pace per mile today was a whopping 10:43 :(  I'm going to say having to retie my shoelaces probably added 40 seconds onto my time (I tried counting while tying)  which would drop my PPM down to approximately 10:39.... I guess I'll take it. 

I keep telling myself that long runs are about distance, not time and I shouldn't be worried about a 10:39 PPM on my long run - right?  Also, I know I didn't push as hard as I could because it was a new distance and I didn't want to burn myself out.  There were several times that I was actually singing along with my music while I was running... which means my heart rate wasn't too high.  According to Monique, having the lower heart weight is actually better for weight loss... so I'm ok with that.

Speaking of weightloss....I'm trying really hard to stay on this South Beach Diet.  I only really started on Thursday and have lost 4 lbs so far, which is probably just water weight.  Supposedly, the pounds just melt off during the first two weeks in which all carbohydrates and sugar (including fruits) are prohibited, but you can eat pretty much as much lean protein and veggies as you want.  I don't know about melting pounds... I also thought that was supposed to happen with breastfeeding, which totally didn't happen for me :(  A big part of the plan is to eat actual meals and then have a snack 2 hours after the meal.  Mostly I've been grazing throughout the day, then having a good dinner.  Tomorrow I'll try to focus more on eating 3 solid 'meals' and then snacks 2 hours later like I'm supposed to.  I guess I'll just have to check the scale again in the tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow... For the last 8 weeks, I've been ignoring my 'Sunday Walks' that I'm supposed to be doing with my training.  I think the smarter thing for me to do, is just jump into the cross training that I'm supposed to be starting in week 13.  I'm considering getting some Zumba or dancing videos that I can do with the kids... they love music and dancing :)  My biggest problem with exercise videos in the past is that the kids want to jump all over me while I'm doing it... so I'm thinking we'll have more success if I can find a video where they can participate - right?

Hasta Manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment