Thursday, January 5, 2012

Week 7, Day 4 - And then there were 3

Today I ran with both kids for 2 miles and it was SOOOOOO tough.  I set my MapMyRun app, but really wasn't sure what to expect.  It must have been a while since I ran with both of them (I'll have to check my previous posts), but I was suprised how hard it was to push them both for the whole 2 miles. 

There were a few instances running up Baseline in which the road ascends (I don't think it counts as a hill even under my terminology!) and I really considered stopping to walk.  However, at this point in my trainin, I really don't think I can give up on a two mile run - even when I'm running with both kids.   So, for the first time, I tried the interval running which Marie suggested last Saturday on the Terwilliger/OHSU hill.  I guess I naturally do a form of interval running where I run as hard as I can until I feel like my legs will give out, then I'll walk until I think I can run again.  However, my 'running' intervals generally get shorter and shorter until I just can't go anymore.  So today, I followed Marie's advice as to what Interval Runnins is supposed to be and ran in intervals of faster and slower... but NO walking.  So for 2 telephone poles I would run as hard as I could (while pushing 100 pounds of kids), then I would run as slow as possible for 2 telephone polls.  I was suprised how it really seemed to help improve my stamina, not to mention my time!  I really felt it was possible for me to tap that extra strength under my tiredness for 40 feet, then slowing down felt like a vacation without the need to stop!

So, for my stats for 2 miles with kids:

Duration: 23.12
Distance: 2 miles
Pace: 11:37 min/mile

It's interesting that my pace running with 2 kids is the same pace for running up gigantic hill last Saturday.... I think I can improve my running time with both the kids AND up the ginormous hill :) 

So, now that I have this fancy shmancy app telling my pace/duration/etc, I'm going to add another page onto my blog where I'll keep track of my distance, pace and how many children I'm running with that day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment